Special Parts Try-Out Information
Application Deadline: November 9, 2021
Special parts try-outs for the 2022 Festival on Ice will be held on Friday, November 19, 2021 immediately following Learn to Skate classes.
A warm-up session will be held from 7:20 to 7:35 p.m. Try-outs begin promptly at 7:40 p.m. All
skaters must be ready to skate by 7:20 p.m. Try-outs will be judged by three judges. Final placement of special parts is based on the judges scores and placements will be made at the discretion of the show director, Julie O’Connor.
Possible special parts include:
• Solo – Skaters awarded a solo will have an individual number approximately 1.5 – 2 minutes long.
• Feature – Skaters awarded a feature will be a featured skater of a group number that comes out after the group skates. The group will remain on the ice as the featured skater skates to an individual number that is
approximately 1.25 – 1.5 minutes long.
• Duet or Trio – Note: tryouts are done individually to assess skating skills – Skaters awarded duets and trios will be placed according to their skills and age. The music will be approximately 1.5 minutes long.
• Pairs (male and female) – Pair skaters are dependent on the availability of male skaters and must meet the requirements of solo level skaters. Their assigned music will be 1.5 – 2 minutes long. Pairs skaters must try out together.
• At a minimum, skaters must have passed the Freestyle 1 badge in learn to skate lessons to try-out.
• To be considered for a solo or pairs special part, skaters must have the minimum of a loop or a flip jump, and a camel, sit or layback spin. Having the required elements in your tryout program does not guarantee a solo or pairs special part.
• To be considered for a feature special part, skaters must have a minimum of a waltz jump, sal chow, and toe loop jumps, spiral or lunge, and a one-foot spin from back crossovers in their program. Having the required elements in your tryout program does not guarantee a feature special part.
• To be considered for a duet or trio special part, skaters must have a minimum of a bunny hop, waltz jump, one-foot spin from back crossovers, and spiral or lunge in their program.
• Performances are also being judged on creativity and how you entertain the audience. Other items you will be scored on is facial expression, costume fitting theme of performance, presentation, artistic impression, creativity, rhythm and choreography.
• No duet tryouts are allowed. Pairings for duets or trios will be made at the discretion of the director.
• In order to be considered for any of the above special parts, you must be either a first club member or second club member of the Skate Company Skating Club by Nov. 9, 2021.
• A try-out fee of $25 per skater made payable to Skate Company S and the completed try-out application form are due by November 9, 2021. Both can be given to the club president, vice president or show director in an envelope marked “Special Parts Try-Outs.”
• Special parts will be announced by the show director on December 3, 2021 at 7:30 p.m. in the lobby of the rink. Please join us to celebrate!
• Those chosen for special parts must register for the show by December 10, 2021. Skaters with a special part are required to sign up for two additional numbers.
• Skaters who are given and accept a special part in Festival on Ice understand that music is assigned by the show director; no skater that tries out and is given a special part will be allowed to select their music. The show director will work with the skater and family to select an appropriate costume for the special part.
• Skaters who accept a special part and later decide to drop out of their part or the show understand that no refunds will be given.
• Each skater receiving a special part is required to have a professional coach choreograph their number. If you do not have a coach, one can be suggested to suit the skater.
• Music should be emailed to the show director in MP3 format no later than Nov. 12, 2021 to email@example.com.
Special Parts Try-Out Forms
Download the application here. Application deadline is November 9, 2021. Applications can be printed, filled out and handed in with the try-out fee in an envelope marked “Special Parts Try-Outs.”